Hiring American long distance moving and storage companies can seem like a scary and complicated process, especially if you’ve never done it before. After all, you are about to entrust all of your worldly possessions to complete strangers – it is completely understandable that you feel worried. Even though long distance movers and storage services will make the whole experience much easier, the idea itself can be scary. Of course, reading American long distance moving and storage reviews before picking a company helps, but it won’t be enough. To put your mind at ease, we’ve decided to take you through the whole moving process step-by-step so that you know what to expect.
The First Step is Picking One of American Long Distance Moving and Storage Companies
Of course, before the whole process is set into motion, you need to pick the company you will hire. There are many long distance movers and storage service providers on the market, and some are better than others.
Unfortunately, the relocation industry is also riddled with scams, so it is extremely important to do thorough research before picking up the phone and booking the moving date. Some steps you should take include:
- Getting recommendations from friends, family, and coworkers who have moved recently,
- Researching the company’s services to see if they offer everything you need (some movers, for example, don’t offer storage services or auto transport),
- Checking the company’s USDOT number and running it through the FMCSA database,
- Requesting a quote to check whether the company in question matches your estimated budget.
Don’t Forget to Check American Long Distance Moving and Storage Reviews
The best way to learn exactly how good (or bad) a long distance movers and storage company is is by checking their online reviews. Past clients’ experiences will tell you all you need to know about how reliable, professional, and punctual the movers are. Make sure to:
- Keep an eye out for fake reviews,
- Check both the positive and the negative comments – they will give you the bigger picture,
- Look out for things that several reviews mention – if multiple reviewers said that the movers were late, this is a recurring issue that is likely to happen to you, too.
Remember, not all long distance moving and storage reviews are equally valuable and important. It’s best to focus on those that highlight both the negative and the positive points of the client’s experience with the company.
Preparing for the Moving Day
Once you’ve picked the best one among American long distance moving and storage companies, it’s time to start getting ready. The preparation process will differ depending on which moving services you decided to book. For example, if you didn’t schedule the packing service, you will have to do it all on your own.
The most important thing is to start on time. Depending on the size of your home, the amount of stuff you want to move, and the services you booked, you should begin preparing 2-4 weeks in advance. Of course, the biggest chunk of the preparation process will go to packing, but you will also have to prepare the home itself.
What to Pack Yourself
Even if you have booked professional packing services, there are still some things you should pack yourself. These include:
- Valuables. If there are any belongings you simply wouldn’t feel comfortable letting the movers handle, such as family heirlooms or expensive jewelry, make sure to pack those yourself.
- Personal documents. Any documents that contain sensitive information should stay with you. To make it easier, you can buy or make your own document binder.
- Items movers won’t move. Although all reliable American long distance moving and storage companies do their best to provide you with impeccable service, there are still things they simply cannot move. These include plants, flammables, explosives, and more.
Aside from the items listed above, you should also dedicate some time to packing a box (or boxes) of essentials. Ideally, each family member should have their own box (and this includes pets, too). The box should contain everything you will need on a moving day, on the road, and in the first few days in your new home before your stuff arrives, such as:
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, and basic toiletries,
- Some clothes,
- Bed linen,
- Snacks and beverages for the road (if you’re driving),
- Basic cleaning supplies,
- Pet food if you have pets,
- Basic kitchenware,
- A first-aid kit,
- Important documents,
- Basic packing supplies – just in case.
How to Prepare the House for the Move
As we have mentioned already, you will also have to prepare your home for the movers. Some things you should add to your to-do list include:
- Labeling. All your boxes should be properly labeled, especially if their contents are fragile. Put the labels on at least three sides of each box.
- Designating a no-packing zone. If there are any things you don’t want the movers to handle, put them all in a single room or corner and mark that area clearly as the no-packing zone.
- Clear out pathways. The movers will have to carry heavy furniture and boxes, and the last thing you want is for them to trip over cables or other objects in their way.
- Protect the floors and walls. Cover the floors and walls with a couple of layers of protective materials, such as plastic wrap or foam sheets.
What to Expect When Your Chosen American Long Distance Moving and Storage Company Arrives
On a moving day, your movers will likely arrive in the morning, so make sure you’re well-rested and up early. If you have pets or children, ask a friend to look after them or hire a babysitter or a petsitter.
The movers will disassemble and pack your furniture (as well as other items, depending on which services you chose) and load everything on their truck. Exactly how long this process will take depends on the number of belongings they have to handle. Either way, it would be a good idea to have some refreshments ready, especially if you’re moving in hot weather.
Once the movers are gone, take one more tour through the whole house to ensure you didn’t forget anything. This would also be a good time for move-out cleaning (you want to get your deposit back, after all).
Welcome to Your New Home
You will likely arrive at your new address before the long distance movers and storage service providers do. That is when your essentials box will come in handy. It is also a great time to do some cleaning before the house gets filled up with boxes and furniture.
If you carefully read the American long-distance moving and storage reviews and did thorough research, your belongings should arrive within the next two weeks (your chosen company will provide the exact date) in perfect condition. Once the things are delivered, all you have to do is unpack and enjoy the new chapter of your life.