So to make things easier for those planning to book moving assistance, we’ve compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions about moving services.
What Does Quality Moving Service Look Like?
Unfortunately, the moving industry is riddled with scammers. There are companies out there that resort to dishonest practices in order to get more money out of unassuming customers. Luckily, there are ways to discern between scammers and honest movers. Usually, with a reliable moving company:
- You will get all the information you need from the get-go. Honest movers have nothing to hide, so if their customer support representatives seem happy to answer any questions you have, that’s a good sign. If they don’t refuse to send you a contract template or provide you with any other information, you are likely dealing with a reliable team.
- They will ask questions before offering an estimate. In order to provide a reliable price estimate, a customer service representative needs to have certain information, such as the size of your home, your current location and destination, and the date when you would like to move. They will also likely offer a video or in-home estimate.
- The prices won’t be too good to be true. Offering unreasonably low quotes is a common tactic scammers use to lure people in. Don’t fall for this, or you’ll end up paying way more in the end or having your belongings held hostage.
- The company you booked will be the company that shows up. Some moving brokers misrepresent themselves as moving companies when all they actually do is delegate the work to others, which is how some customers end up having to deal with a team they didn’t hire. While brokering itself is not necessarily wrong, misrepresenting what a company does is and could lead to issues down the road.
How Much Does the Full Moving Service Cost?
The price of the full moving service varies depending on a number of factors, as well as from company to company. What’s more, these costs are calculated differently depending on whether you’re moving locally or long-distance. Let’s take a closer look at both.
How Do Local Movers Calculate the Cost of the Full Moving Service?
The price of local moving services usually ranges from around $300 to $1,500. The cost is calculated as a per-mover per-hour fee. In other words, the more movers it takes to pack up and relocate your household – and the longer this process takes – the higher the costs will be.
How Much Do Long Distance Moving Services Cost?
Unlike local moving, long distance moving services aren’t charged on a per-hour basis. The final price of a cross country move is estimated based on the household inventory list. More precisely, it depends on the weight of your belongings. On top of this, other factors that influence the final cost include:
- The distance between the starting point and the destination
- The time of the year (peak season is between May and September, which is when the prices are higher)
- The services you decide to book
- Any special conditions, requests, or items that require additional attention.
For example, moving a one-bedroom home 1000 miles away will cost somewhere around $1,500. On the other hand, relocating a four-bedroom house to a place 2,500 miles away can run you around $10,000.
Which Services Are Included in the Full Moving Service?
Although the scope of moving services provided may vary from one moving company to another, there are some solutions offered by almost every mover in the country. Here’s what they are.
The Basic Moving Package
When you hire movers, be it for a local or long-distance move, the very least you can expect from them is to show up with a truck, load your belongings, transport them to your new home, and unload them from the truck.
Bonus tip: Basic moving insurance also must be included in this service, as it is required by federal law. If a company doesn’t mention at least a basic policy as a part of their relocation package, steer clear from them.
Every Quality Moving Service Includes Basic Packing
On top of the moving service described above, the best companies will also include some basic packing in their stater package. This usually includes the disassembling, wrapping, and reassembling of furniture and other items too bulky to be handled by someone inexperienced.
The Full Packing Service Is Also an Option
On top of basic packing, most companies will also offer a full packing service. This means that professionals will protect and pack anything you want them to (as long as it is not on the list of prohibited items). This is a great solution for those who don’t have the time and energy to dedicate to this tedious task.
You Can Rent a Storage Unit
Relocations can be quite unpredictable, so having the option of putting your household belongings in a storage unit can make things much easier. Moving companies know this, which is why many of them also offer storage rentals.
How Do I Find a Reliable Moving Company?
Now you know what reliable moving companies offer, but how do you actually find one? It’s simple! Just follow these steps:
- Browse the internet and look around for recommendations and reviews
- Check whether the recommended companies have a US DOT number provided by the FMCSA
- Ask for a quote from the shortlisted companies and compare their prices
- Choose the company that seems reliable, fits your budget, and offers the services you need.
Remember that, as a reliable company, BHM provides quality moving service, and will always provide any piece of information you ask for. We will make sure your belongings are fully protected and taken care of, and we won’t try to surprise you with unexpected costs once you’ve already picked up your stuff.